Friday, January 19, 2007

things that scare me and things that don't

As I posted earlier in the week, there will be no more 24 viewings for this girl. Voluntarily subjecting myself to an hour of terror and violence in the name of "entertainment" just doesn't ring true for me, even though our hero, Jack Bauer, continues to exemplify honor, patriotism, and self-sacrifice. (Not to mention the super-human ability to go without a shower, shave, nap, or even granola bar.) Good-bye, 24. I'll hear all about you from other, braver members of my household. From now on, it will be enough thrill to drive my hubby's black suburban; his very own "Jack Bauer-mobile".

We went to the movies last evening for something more up my alley: Charlotte's Web. It was rated G, which is about my speed. Another teen, who shall remain anonymous to protect his reputation, enthusiastically joined us. We loved it. And just to demonstrate WHAT A BABY I am, I will admit to having a bad dream about it last night. It went like this: A large spider (looking suspiciously like Charlotte) had to be disposed of by me, with emergency back up provided by #1 Son. This gives you an inkling of how I handle shows like 24...

The point of this revealing post? My continual amazement that God calls me to do things that require fearlessness. Despite a natural disposition that veers 180 degrees from all things risky or creepy, I regularly don the equipment of Romans chapter 6 and head courageously into the fray. I shout brave and righteous war-cries from under the shadow of my Big Brother's shield. I stomp ahead without second-guessing myself, matching His footsteps all the way, knowing that the battle belongs to Him.
Pretty neat for the girl who watches scary movies from between her fingers, huh?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we should start a PBS-documentary-watching club (or something!) for non-24ers. like me! that would be fun!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

And me. That would be fun in my book, too! We currently have two on loan from Netflix: Rembrandt - 400 Years; Bach - To the Glory of God. Any takers? Well, considering I'm heading out for 12 days I guess you better start without me. :(

8:43 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I dislike 24 as well.
And I too had nightmares from Charlotte's Webb, I certainly would appreciate a PBS-documentary-watching club!

Thanks for having me along last night!

9:35 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

pete: you have identified yourself!
Don't ever do undercover work, my bro...

9:25 AM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Thanks for your prayers for us. The biggest hindrance will be the strep thing. Definitely not something I like to fool around with. So I don't like the thought of leaving the house without Mom's care. But we will see how everyone is faring tomorrow. Keep praying!

3:37 PM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Did you go see the movie Museum? That sounds like one you would like.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

Umm. I miss you. I'm too busy to miss much, but I miss you.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home