Sunday, July 08, 2007

a "thank-you" serving

A mantle of thankfulness has enveloped me as of late. Normally I am very thankful girl, but this recent wave of gratitude has surpassed my blessing-barometer.
I attend a church that is lively and is chock-full of lively people. The King James Version spells it out like so: "Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 2:5) A few handfuls of these stones converged upon Madrid's Hometown Cafe after the service for some authentic small-town diner food. I surveyed the dear faces that laughed and hugged and conversed while they ate. (Somebody say,"use your inside voices...") I chewed my tuna melt and fries thoroughly, just as I plan to chew on my pastor's rich words from the pulpit. I am thankful for all this.
My kayak was dragged from the weeds, wiped down, and loaded onto the car for an afternoon paddle. This was my first water voyage in three weeks and I was eager to go to it. The rain was kind enough to give me room for a generous trip downstream and back. While Friend #12 took her turn at the helm, I parlayed with my favorite mother-in-law. Sunday afternoons are perfect for such spontaneous visits.
I am thankful for a beautiful newly-married couple. We traveled to their wedding over the weekend and were privileged to provide music for the ceremony. Other people that we love were gathered there also, and we all experienced some great hang-out time. My family goofed around and laughed all the way home in the car, too. That's pretty good for a three hour drive.
Later this evening, I will settle on the couch with some whole-wheat crackers and a wedge of seriously sharp Spanish cheese. This precious waxen wheel, lugged down from the mountains near Grenada in my suitcase, is being whittled down far too fast, and despite my vain proclamation that "THIS CHEESE IS ONLY FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS", I will eat some tonight because I want to.
I promise to eat my portion with great gratitude, just as I attempt to do with the precious stuff of everyday life.

1 Comments:

Blogger www.jean-e-oathout.blogspot.com said...

It was so delightful to have your undivided attention for a short while today, my dear. I am still anticipating a chunk of that cheese you've spoken of so lovingly, though.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home