Wednesday, February 22, 2006

a muster of mentors


mentor: a wise and faithful counselor or monitor

Trivia: Would the noun of assemblage be "a muster of mentors"?

Tonight, I attend a meeting at my church for the women who are mentors. We will pray, share, and learn a few things about the art of discipling. Our pastor will speak with us and there will be a time for questions and feedback. It takes determination and training to be an effective mentor!(not to mention a huge dose of humility...)

What's all the fuss? And why all the prep?

I entered college as a half-baked, fence-sitting semi-passionate Christian. (That is to say, I was only passionate when something else wasn't more important--which is not passionate in the least.) I had the great fortune to have a next-door friend (Friend #22) who loved God enough to nudge me into self-examination. By her example and friendship, I made steps to align my life with God's call for me. I read the Bible and prayed regularly. I memorized Scripture. I learned how to truly repent. Small steps became significant ones. My love for God took deep root and blossomed.

It was only a few years down the proverbial road, and I felt the call to give back. It was the "proof is in the pudding" syndrome, really. As unequipped as I felt, I did know some basic truths. Obey God consistently, and good fruit will spring from your branches. Follow that up with sharing your bounty generously and selflessly, and you’ve got yourself a recipe for biblical discipleship.

I'm eternally grateful for Friend # 22 and her influence in my life. Her investment is reaping a harvest in people she has not even met! Now that’s an investment worth looking into.

“This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” - John 15:8

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I've just been browsing blogs, and yours came up as "noteworthy." What a delight as I read scattered posts from the past several months. I feel like I've found a kindred spirit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the world!

Harmony

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home