Thursday, December 21, 2006

the food channel

Oh boy. I like thinking about good food and menu planning.
Yesterday we welcomed a gourmet smoked turkey in the mail. One might think that sending a turkey via mail service is a strange practice, but people have been doing it for decades. Remember those vividly colored catalogues of the seventies that hawked cheese logs, glazed Virginia hams and ornate chocolates? My siblings and I drooled over them every season, wishing we could afford to order the Sampler Supreme, complete with complimentary ribbon candy. One lucky year, our dad's office sent us a red-checkered box. We had hit the jackpot, replete with tiny cheese spreads that came in foil triangles. Way cool.
This family cannot do without leg o' lamb on Christmas Day. I stuff it with cloves of garlic and coat it with fresh rosemary. Last Christmas, we threw it (whole) on the grill for the last twenty minutes. Highly recommended, as long as your neighbors don't call the fire department because of the flames. Along with the lamb, we roast cubed sweet potatoes and carrots.
I snagged a new book from the local library called Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon. We're heading into new territory here, but to round out our study of the Middle East, we need to eat their food. Okay by me, as I love eggplant, couscous, yogurt, lemon, olives, and the rest. We will partake the way the Arabs do, seated on the floor while watching satellite TV.
Ah, food. It is a wondrous thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger www.jean-e-oathout.blogspot.com said...

Sounds exciting! I'm looking forward to the food, but on the floor?, I'm not so sure about that.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home