Thursday, January 25, 2007

summer weather

-The mercury huddles at minus thirteen this morning, and that's not including the wind chill factor. Furry frost has accumulated at the cracks of doors and light switch covers. (The latter phenomena cannot possibly be safe, but my family just labels me a worry-wart and reminds me that it's January.) Chilly drafts, like unseen ghosts sprung from nowhere, wend their way through the lower stratosphere of each room. Lap blankets are gear de riguer. The wood-stove is kept two degrees short of molten lava, with wood being thrown in like its going out of style.

-I have three giant loaves of whole-wheat bread in the oven, courtesy of my new Bosch universal kitchen mixer. Even the smell is healthy.

-We are learning about the concept of jihad this morning. I am not happy that this, the "sixth pillar of Islam", is alive and flourishing on this planet. Yet God sees and knows all, and He has not aborted His mission to this blue globe we call home. That gives me hope. My study of 2 Peter and its abundance of references to the End Times reminds me that the God of Creation has a plan. How shall we then live? (to borrow a good question from a respected Christian theologian.) I'll be pondering this for awhile.

-To demonstrate that I am not only spiritual, but also practical, we will be tackling some housework this afternoon. The thought of organizing drawers, cabinets, and closets is daunting. But I'll make the kids do it, and that is relieving. The role of delegating has its responsibilities, and I won't shirk them. I will give everything a once-over and white-glove treatment at the end of the day.

Enjoy a blessing for this day, courtesy of a Puritan that lived a few centuries ago:

If my life is to be a crucible amid burning heat, so be it, but do Thou sit at the furnace mouth to watch the ore that nothing be lost. If I sin wilfully, grievously, tormentedly, in grace take away my mourning and give me music; remove my sackcloth and clothe me with beauty; still my sighs and fill my mouth with song, then give me summer weather as a Christian.

4 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

It was -18 at my house this morning; you had a heat wave compared to where I live.

Homemade WW bread is on the Fire Up eating plan. Can come over and try some with peanut butter?

12:28 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

we're booked for tonight.
how 'bout over the weekend??

4:54 PM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Weekend sounds good. I'll give you a call.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

I loved reading this entry. It's my fav.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home