Monday, October 15, 2007

car-less

Being the lending-type, I am bereft of a car today.
Typically, having a set of wheels at one's disposal is empowering and the lack of such is generally frustrating (ask Friend #7. No. Wait. Don't ask Friend #7). But during my morning walk (one hour in length, up the hill and through the maple grove, past the yellow farmhouse, and on to the grazing cattle which see me as an intruder), I decided to revel in my temporary Amish status. No car? Fine. Good excuse to pack in a full day of school, catch up on curriculum and maybe yard work, and make dinner from odds and ends in the pantry.
Another "freeing" predicament? My chest cold has landed with a thud in my throat, resulting in an overtired voice. All of me is feeling much better, just don't ask me to talk about it.
Consequently, when the phone rings, I say (to myself) "what phone?" and go about my business undisturbed.
Here is what I cobbled together for dinner. I don't know how it tastes yet, but it looks promising.

2 packages of boneless pork chops
marinade of oil, vinegar, soy sauce, dried mustard, dried turkish red pepper, and parsley.
(to be grilled)

a casserole of:
rice
sauteed sweet red pepper, onion, hot pepper, and garlic
leftover enchilada sauce
chopped steamed broccoli
sharp cheese
fresh cilantro

1 Comments:

Blogger danica said...

Well, I'm cobbling dinner together from the cupboards tonight, too, and guess what we're having?

black beans and cornbread. Oh, and ice cream. somehow falls short after reading about your menu du jour.

(I won't tell Ryan what you managed to concoct from your cupboards.)

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home