Tuesday, September 20, 2011

an autumn evening

Tonight I put an apple pie in the oven, and while it was baking I went kayaking with #1 Son.

We paddled in the late-evening sun. In view of my beautiful waterfalls, the last shafts of sun danced across the river and landed on my should and face. This only meant one thing: that we had to listen to John Denver's "Sunshine on My Shoulder" as soon as we got in the house. Which we did. Which made me cry just the tiniest bit because its a song from my childhood which I always find myself singing in my head.

Hubby grilled steak. I made bruschetta with vegetables from the garden. We ate on the the porch, just the three of us, even thought the sun had gone down & it was chilly. We lit candles which made us feel warm, if only in our imagination.

I was missing #1 Daughter sorely.

Immediately after dinner, we laid out our plan for the back walkway with a garden hose. We dreamed about what kind of stone we might buy. We admitted to each other that there was absolutely no budget for this project. We shrugged our shoulders & went ahead with a Dream-Plan regardless.

I threw some dead sunflower stalks on the burn pile. -Which made me want to have a small bonfire. -Which made Hubby get the matches. -Which led us to bring our tea & bowls of warm apple pie outside to watch the fire while enjoying nothing but peace & quiet.

The crackle of the fire and the warmth it cast across the freshly-mown lawn left me with a deep feeling of peace. Either that, or my second helping of pie made me drowsy.

It was a perfect autumn evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home