Thursday, June 29, 2006

...and the livin' is easy....

A blur of hours, seamlessly tumbling one over the next, has been my portion the last few days. I haven't actually sat in the kayak, but perched on the roof of my PT, it has happily buzzed all over the North Country: supermarkets, riding lessons, Crane, library, ballfield, and Grandma's house. Perhaps today I can wend waterward. Oh, the happy slap of bow on river!

Four children of Friend # 21 are here for a spell, as their sweet mom travelled south to visit an ailing relative. Of course, no one opted to sleep in a real bed last night; not when there is a camper on the premesis and an air-conditioner in the family room. The floors are scattered with overnight bags, extra shoes, riding boots, and someone's cast-away socks. But merriment is in the air, so it's okay. Anyway, two ambitious girls vacuumed and washed the kitchen floor this morning, which leaves a blank slate for today's doings.

Today, I raid the garden for the spoils of copious rain and cool evenings. Drowned Mustard Greens will be the featured antipasto this evening at Chez Nancy. The basil is up and looking for some olive oil to couple with. (Friend #7, take note!)

Even in the midst of the bustle, a corner of my mind keeps refuge with introspection. Seasons like this bring to my mind the Shaker adage: Hands to work, Heart to God.

That's the kind of multi-tasking I can abide.


5 Comments:

Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

and friend #7 is looking for some homemade pesto with which to couple (is it okay that people know our numbers?).

12:58 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

fer sure.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

My multi-tasking has never been too good. Usually the corner of my mind even gets busy -- wait, maybe that is too much multi-tasking. At any rate, I envy those who seem to have a quiet introspection in constant motion. Well, envy in an okay way. "I am what I am..." Not sure I want to claim all of that, but in measure, it works.

And my creative cooking is totally dried up. Too much energy, standing, and moving involved. Amazing how many tasks involve moving! So tonight, for instance, with no meal thought of, we will be winging it. Dad is away at rehearsal so salad and tuna may do the trick. Poor kids...

But I have been dreaming of musicals, for kids, for adults, for dessert theater, for CFA, for whatever! We shall see what the year holds. How to put feet to my dreams is the only dilemma these days!

5:43 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

I'll say this: there's nothin' wrong with the feet needed for your dreams. Just go easy on the feet at the end of your legs....

5:58 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Summer is lovely here too. Living by the shore is nice. I had forgotten how much I like large bodies of water--but it's too big for a bitty-boat like you have.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home