Wednesday, September 13, 2006

relishing the quiet

Many are wondering how I am filling my week, seeing that the fam is away.
Well.

I brought warm scones to an ailing (yet feeling-better-every-day) friend. Her kids dove hungrily in to the basket, but I made sure mom reserved her fair share. On my way home from that pleasant stop, I visited Martin's Farm for a half-bushel of bell peppers. Never one to resist a bargain, I rescued a large bucket of sweet onions from becoming compost. The sign taped to the bucket said,
"Sweet Onions. Seconds. Use quickly before they go bad. $3."

Three dollars? That bucket could furnish enough gifts of onion relish for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Into the trunk it went. With it came the creeping feeeling that I would be spending a lot of time in the kitchen. It's really okay. You see, I like my kitchen.

Today I canned tomato chutney. Tomorrow I will make vinegar peppers; a family favorite. Also, I will try out a few sweet onion relish recipes. "Alone-time" is great for these doings, as interruptions don't bode well with batches of boiling water and bubbling vegetables. But just to remain balanced, I also did these things:

-visited the hardware store, post office, and bank
-stopped to visit my dear mom-in-law
-had pizza for dinner with Friend #12
-watched the news
-chatted long-distance with a friend
-read the Bible

All in one day, folks. All in one fine day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home