Saturday, November 25, 2006

pot-pie yearnings

The number of mouths to feed in proportion to the size of the turkey resulted in a meager amount of leftover meat. This meant no turkey pot-pie this year. But in order to prevent rioting, I will attempt to publish a recipe. Beware: my method is a far cry from exact.

3 cups cooked turkey, chopped
2 cups leftover gravy
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup carrot, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
any other leftover veggies (brussel sprouts, broccoli, creamed onions, what have you)
1/2 cup butter
a few tablespoons of flour
salt & pepper to taste

sautee the fresh veggies in the butter until soft. Add the flour and toss all thoroughly. Add the gravy and heat until thickened. Adjust the liquids(add water) and thickeners to achieve a nice gravy. We like lots of "sauce" in our pie. Add the turkey.
Place all into a pie shells or deep casserole. If pie shell: top with pastry, slit, and bake as you would any pie. If casserole: roll out your pie dough thickly (I like to add a bit of baking powder like you would bisquits) and place on top. You can even cut out "bisquits" and arrange on top, if you prefer. Bake until bubbly. (For presentation, you can brush with egg white and sprinkle with parsley and paprika before baking.)

This can be made with leftover chicken or beef, also. Hands down, a crowd pleaser every time!

2 Comments:

Blogger www.jean-e-oathout.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll know where to turn to, if I ever need a good one!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Till the Whole World Knows said...

Hello! You don't know me . . . I have been stalking your blog for several months. Just stumbled across it, but I thoroughly enjoy it. I am a missionary in the Philippines. I was born in Schenectady, but my family moved away when I was young so I did not grow up there. The names of the places you mention in your area are familiar to me . . .I heard dinner table talk about relatives in all those towns. Thanks for inspiring me with your blogging.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home