Monday, June 04, 2007

invitation to learn

The joys of online-shopping: I put an order in this morning for orange-blossom water, rose water, sesame candy, and other exotic items. A Middle-Eastern menu is taking shape for next week's event, in which the students of the Hull Homeschool Academy (all two of them) will share what they have learned about the Middle East and the Arab world. We have been drooling over this library cookbook, Arabesque (A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, & Lebanon) for quite awhile. A few recipes have already become favorites and we hope our guests like them, too.
We are wrapping up a very successful year of schooling at home, but the learning never stops around here. #1 Son and I depart for Southern Spain in ten days, so we are cramming Spanish worship songs and scriptures. Later this summer, the fam (sans mom) will travel to the Dominican Republic, so those songs and scriptures should be learned by #1 Daughter, too!
Amidst the hustle and bustle of end-of-the-semester, I have started to dream about next year's curriculum. European History and Church History seem to be at the top of my list. We really must start Biology, having put it off far too long. (This family drags its feet when it comes to science, I'm afraid to say.) As for math, my two students are ahead of the pack, although their mathematical success is not a sign that they love the topic. They would be supremely content to explore their musical and artistic bent all morning, and then fill their afternoons with pleasure-reading.
"An Evening in the Middle East" will take place at our home this Sunday (June 10) from 7-8 pm. If you would like to join us, please give us a shout. We would love to see you here.

3 Comments:

Blogger www.jean-e-oathout.blogspot.com said...

I will plan on being there! I'm looking forward to what my grandkids have to share with us.

2:36 PM  
Blogger sam said...

Where did you get the sesame candy? If it is the stuff I'm thinking of it's a yummy sweet treat and I would love to have some on hand to satisfy those sweet tooth cravings.

4:19 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

daynasmarket.com
I think they are located in Michigan....
It's actually called halvah, and I love it. No matter what part of the world I am in, I find a way to satisfy my sweet-tooth!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home