Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Agnus Dei

Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi,

Lamb of God, who take away sins of world,

miserere nobis.

have mercy on us.

Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi,

Lamb of God, who take away sins of world,

dona nobis pacem.

grant us peace.

My soul was weary tonight. As I approached the piano for a bit of refreshing, my eyes alighted on a choral score that I supremely cherish: The Faure Requiem. As I positioned the book on the music rack, the oft-used pages opened to the Agnus Dei. Ahh. Water for my parched soul. Twice through and my thirst was quenched completely.
We have been reading the Gospel of John, where John the Baptist identifies Jesus as "the Lamb of God who takest away the sins of the world." How I love that title! Our dear pastor shared an amazing message this past Sunday in which he pointed out the weave of the Gospel message throughout the Old Testament. "God will provide the lamb," declared Abraham to his son Isaac as they prepared the sacrificial fire. It was true in this way: God provided a ram whose antlers were caught in the thicket. It was true in this way, too: God provided a Lamb, Jesus, who was sacrificed in our stead.

Aren't you glad?

1 Comments:

Blogger Harmony said...

Yes, I'm glad, very glad, for the Lamb! Then to think that the very Lamb of God is our Good Shepherd. What more could we want?

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home