Monday, November 05, 2007

'Nay

The moment I heard Friend #12's voice on the line, I knew she was okay.
Her words came gently, happily. They were tender and lilting, laced with the hint of a smile. Her tone was upbeat, yet she spoke of missing me. She teased me for worrying about her, and I readily accepted her silly chastisement because I was guilty as charged. After all, she had traveled solo from Syracuse to Columbus, and then on to St. Louis. She landed in the lap of people she had never met, who took her to a place she would be obliged to call home for an undetermined length of time, where she would have to make new friends, learn some tough truths, apply challenging concepts, and allow God to transform her completely.
Pretty much, she has been my amiable shadow for the last year and a half. We said good-bye only five days ago, which explains the constant reminders to myself that she is not within earshot or arm's reach.
Oh, she is a good girl and a brave one. Before she left, she told me that she is taking the cap off the limit of whatever God wants to do with her life. Maybe grad school, maybe not. Maybe learn a few languages, teach overseas, work with children, teach ESL, who knows? I know this: in order to have vision, one must have hope. --Which reminds me of a scripture: "And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:5 (NIV)
Way to go, Friend #12.
Way to go, God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home