Wednesday, February 06, 2008

the girls have a holiday



February means that Valentine's Day is around the corner.

The other morning, Daughter #1 and I were warning Friend #37 all about the import of the upcoming holiday at our house, including decorations, hand-made cards, prettily-wrapped little gifts, special menus, et cetera. He was bundled to the ears against the oncoming cold but I could still detect the crinkle of disgust around his nose and the faintest smirk along the rim of his jacket collar. He had his hand on the doorknob for a quick escape. After all, he is a guy.

"Joe," I primly reprimanded in my most school-teacherish tone, "You know why we celebrate Valentine's Day, don't you?"

"Because....you're girls?" he countered naughtily.

"NO."( I faked dismay.)
" Because....well, because GOD IS LOVE. It's in the Bible, for goodness sake." And I went back to scrambling the eggs. (He knows and I know and we all know that it really is because we are girls, but how patronizing!)

I'm not gonna let any boy spoil my girly-fun.
So hooray for a girl's holiday AND for a time to celebrate God's love, says I. Bring out the red candles, the heart-shaped cookies, the ribbons festooned with cut-out hearts which dangle in the windows, and all the trappings that it takes to punch some fun and lightheartedness into the stark white backdrop of February.
Iron the lace-edged tablecloth. Shine the silver, buy some fresh flowers, send a goofy valentine to an old friend. Kiss your husband passionately when he least expects it. Leave him speechless. Tell someone who needs to hear it that God loves them and you do, too.

Isn't Valentine's Day fun?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you use to make those hearts? Very cool!
Jude

9:11 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

they were clipped from magazines.
free!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the idea!
And Happy Valetine's Day!
Love you.
Jude

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realize that what you said may come true, but only if I commit myself to such things as blogging.

commitment. a word that means so much and yet seams like so little.

amazing how that works.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home