Monday, March 13, 2006

A Post of Postcards

So sure am I that my readers will understand my lack of posts, that I won't try to apologize....

Since I was on a fast track since last Wednesday, allow me to sift through my thoughts and share some mental postcards with y'all. It's my way of playing "catch up."

-Friend #7 has adorable little brothers, two of which dined with us recently, accompanied by their dad who is the the author of interesting poems. Starving Student Chicken was dished out liberally; see me for the recipe. It's the best stuff on earth, even if one is not starving. A cut-throat 2 1/2 hour game of Scrabble ensued after dessert. Friend #37 won again, much to our consternation. A mere lousy point separated the winner from Friend #7, and an additional mere lousy point from yours truly. A re-match is scheduled as soon as various educational pursuits and long trips to China are behind all of us. Stay tuned.

-A 4-hour trip to the airport to fetch dear people is a long drive. The very same 4-hour trip, a week later, to deliver dear people back to the airport is much too swift. (the gas bill is about the same....)

-Morton Gould wrote some very exciting music. But after 6 hours of rehearsing it, I was ready to never hear it again. Bach does not have the same effect on me, and that's why I know I'll be playing the Goldberg Variations in heaven.

-Important conductors are just regular people, despite the ever-present cell phone calls from famous composers and performers during rehearsal. They also get calls from their spouse to bring home milk.

-Composers are just regular people, too. While I was communing with my morning coffee in the guest-house on the mountain, Friend #30a strode past the scenery outside dressed in his bathrobe and winter parka. For a second, I thought he was a medieval monk returning from vespers. He had arisen before dawn to compose yet another masterpiece in his office.

-Bowling alleys are noisy places to converse with old friends. But you can be as boisterous as you like, the footwear is hilarious, and there is great food (like french fries) to pass around. I suppose you could actually bowl, too, but I didn't and still had a good time.

-No matter how interesting or fulfilling my out-of-town jaunts may be, nothing beats coming in the mud-room door and greeting my family. Roses on the table for no reason are nice, too.

-My favorite moment today was when I discovered good quality tapers (candles) at Hacketts. They were on sale for 99 cents. I bought a dozen. Just more reasons to have another dinner-party.

-Tomorrow is my sister-in-law's birthday. March 14 was the day she picked when she had to apply for a passport to enter the USA. (It is also my brother's birthday.) She was born in a mud hut in Niger, but now she lives in Watertown. I am very proud of her accomplishments and her everyday courage and good humor. She will be 36, she thinks. No one counts birthdays in Africa.
I really love her. Happy Birthday, Zalika.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Welcome home and thanks for the post cards!
Mine would be much simpler - a matched set in blue and white on khaki background. But the people moving in and out of the scene would call for some sort of new technological video post card. Hmmm.... some day I suppose we will have those as well!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

awwwww. that was the best. And Roses! My my my. there's so much to comment on in here I don't know where to start. I do have the cutest little brothers, though, don't i?

4:35 PM  
Blogger kb said...

Yoooouuu! What about friend #10? That's okay. We'll always have ninja. Oh, you know that one time I went to Spain, England, Scotland and Paris? Yeah, it was awesome. :)

10:04 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

to Friend #10:
didja notice that I didn't name-drop any European-type places on my blog?

self-control, baby.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! monk in robe and a parka??
things are getting better by the minute!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home