Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Busy signals


It is a daunting task to keep "busy-ness" at bay.

Last semester, (I still tend to think in semesters, being linked to homeschool and college-schedules) I began the process of entering a new season . It involved pruning, honing, distilling, and re-evaluating. The goal was to trim unnecessary trips to Crane and Albany, clean up my priority list and be available to obey God on short notice. The stack of unlearned music on my piano needed to be dissipated, along with those vague feelings of things undone that hit me at bedtime.

For example, in order to cook and deliver a meal, invite a unexpected visitor in for coffee, or make a cold-turkey phone call to an old friend, or just sit quietly for an hour....well, you need a flexible schedule. Teaching my children while thinking I had "more pressing things to do" was exhausting. When I felt frustration rising by 9 am on a regular basis, I knew it was time to re-think my schedule. What was really important here?

Seasons are a gift. I don't want to miss a single one. So with ear to the spiritual ground, pruning shears in hand and eyes on the prize, I stand still and listen. Yes, the house still buzzes with the comings and goings like unto Grand Central Station. There are grocery lists to scribble, and people's hearts to tend to. But now there are wide open spaces, too. Spaces in which to stretch and consider; linger and lounge. True, there are still things undone at the end of the day. But one of the things that is not undone is me.

And ain't that a blessing?

1 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I was just revisiting a post I had written some time ago about dealing with time usage. What an opportunity for God to challenge us on a regular basis regarding our true priorities. There is nothing like the commodity of time to reveal where our treasure is - or the sometimes foolish choices we make along the way. Isn't it good to regroup? Nothing like getting back on track!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home