Monday, September 18, 2006

nudges, lightbulbs, and late-night conversations

Sometimes the most memorable events are the short-notice ones.

During yesterday's service, a light bulb snapped on over my head: invite Eugene & Joy over after their evening meeting for a traditional Spanish meal of tapas. In Spain, dinner is served around ten p.m.. Varying small dishes are offered consisting of meat, cheese, olives, assorted condiments, dainty casseroles, and the ever-present spanish tortilla, which is not a "tortilla" at all. The tortilla espana is a potato and egg frittata made with olive oil. I hadn't plied my culinary trade in over a week (my dear fam being in the D.R....) and I was itching to arrange a creative repast.
Invitations were thrown out, and RSVP's rolled in immediately. After the church BBQ and a languid canoe-ride on the Grasse River, I settled into my favorite kitchen to play with food. A few other couples, some newly-acquainted with the Grecos, were able to join us for an evening of food, fellowship, and Kingdom-minded business.
Everyone else reluctantly departed by 11:30, but Eugene & Joy settled back on the couch until 1 a.m. (it was easier to burn the midnight oil when we were all in college). After promises were sealed to visit them in Spain, they ventured out into the crisp evening air. I sighed as I pressed my hands to the windows in farewell, and sighed again as I tended the guttering candles on the piano and tables. The wisps of waxy smoke curled lazily into the air and trailed me up the dark stairs to bed, leaving me already wistful for such kindred-spirits.

Note this: another "Going with my Gut" Experiment is a success.
Back to the lab. I'll continue to post ongoing results.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a fun evening! (I wish everybody planned things for 9pm, because my kids are all sleeping by then and I can actually get out of the house without a single child in tow!)

I always love being around you.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I missed you all so much, knowing how much good conversation full of Kingdom mindedness was going on in that house in Knapps Station. But babies keep their own calendar, as do children even 25 years of age! I couldn't and wouldn't have missed my time with them even more. But soon you will need to fill me in on your fun evening adventure.

And speaking of needs (we were, weren't we?) I now have the piano/vocal score for High Button Shoes and would love to poke through the music with such a learned accompanist as yourself so that I can begin to get the feel of some of these ballets and various other dance scenes. And all the songs, as well. Any thoughts?

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home