Thursday, September 14, 2006

shoutin' about it

Lately, the concept of freedom has been on my mind.

-During our D.C. visit, we came across a granite wall anchoring the Korean War Memorial. Carved deeply into the stone were the words, "Freedom is Not Free". Deeply submerged into my conscience, this truth lept up to my lips: "Amen," I exclaimed. "Somebody paid the price so we could enjoy the spoils."

-Toni Morrison said,"The function of freedom is to free someone else." I suppose a few sermons could be given on the price of freedom, the right of freedom, or the fruits of freedom. But what about the function of freedom? When freedom functions, amazing things happen.
Observing anyone fighting for someone else's freedom stops me in my tracks. There, before my eyes, is the outworking of a gift realized. Why else would Harriet Tubman, former slave, return to the Deep South over thirty times to lead others northward? A supernatural instinct compelled her. By putting "feet to her faith", she demonstrated the function of freedom. I am privileged to know people who are shining lights of this concept, and they inspire me to keep fighting the good fight.

-My most-beloved teacher of freedom is Jesus.
"To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, 'If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'
They answered him, 'We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?'
Jesus replied, 'I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.'"

Rich words, and a balm for my soul. I would much rather be a son than slave. Belonging to the house forever is the laurel wreath that Jesus won for us. And the freedom He bestows isn't any run-of-the-mill stuff or second-class goods. When I read "free indeed", something stirs in my bones that makes me want to shout. It makes me want to tell somebody!

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

1 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

I like the function of freedom concept. I never thought about this before.

May we all get to experience more freedom so that we can help someone else.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home