Tuesday, October 17, 2006

food power

Last weekend, I dined in Albany at a trendy cafe, Peaches & Cream in Stuyvestant Plaza. My mom and I were both drawn to the same menu item: Grilled Vegetable Sandwich on 12-Grain Bread. Portabello mushroom, red pepper and fresh tomato were marinated in balsamic vinegrette, grilled to perfection, and served warm with organic lettuce between slices of chewy bread. We actually moaned while consuming this. My dear Hubby ate his dinner more normally, and minded his manners. But I still think we had the better experience.

Just the other day, I discovered four very ripe pears in the fruit drawer of the fridge. Inspiration hit me like a sunbeam. To the sliced pears and black seedless grapes, I added honey, poppy seeds, plain yoghurt, and a dash of allspice. I dubbed my concoction "Cleopatra's Fruit Salad". In the middle of winter, a dessert such as this will give a shy person the strength to do what's gotta be done. I am a huge believer in the power of food.

-In case you couldn't tell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

You ate gourmet second class lunch today!

You should be proud!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thanks for giving me the hint about the song, I was gonna totally go Black Gospel on everyone!

-Pete

8:33 PM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Add a little cheerios to Cleopatra Fruit Salad to make a great twinnie snack. Perhaps I'll try it sometime.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home