Thursday, September 13, 2007

pure, mostly

"Heavens they're tasty, and expeditious. Give shy persons the strength they need to get up and do what needs to be done. Made from whole-wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers, so you know they're not only good for you, they're pure, mostly."
(Powder Milk Biscuit Ad -Garrison Keillor)

While The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is the type of reading that fuels my hubby, articles like this one are more up my interest-alley. Making healthy changes in our diet is definitely in the "mom" department, and fall is a great season to explore wholesome options. While I don't imagine to cure my family's sweet-tooth (sweet teeth?), I can at least take the edge off their dessert cravings by gracing the table with more whole grains, fresh vegetables, and condiments free of monosucrohydroglycerides. I made that word up.
If my family's worst habit (consuming boxes of what I call "junky-cereal") could be ever rectified by whole-wheat pancakes and fruit smoothies, I guess it is up to the the chief cook-and bottle-washer to provide such. Which takes foresight, extra effort, and a few less winks of morning sleep, to which none I am naturally inclined. Let's admit it, though: breakfast is the best place to start a healthy regimen.
While typing this entry, the powder-milk biscuit ditty from Prairie Home companion looped through my head. Although there is nary a shy person around these here parts, we all know a few souls that need to get up and do what needs to be done.
May I have some sugar-free jam on that biscuit, please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home