Saturday, February 09, 2008

mrs. clean

I never thought I'd admit it, but it's quite true.
I like to clean.

My method has always been weird, though. I start vacuuming the family room, stop to pick up things, end up throwing in a load of laundry, and then scrub the bathroom sink.
I tackle the pile of stuff on the stairs, organizing as I ascend.
The dust bunnies on the bare wooden stairs commence a whirling dervish as I hustle past them, so I make a mental note to drag the vacuum there next.

I am ruthless toward clutter.

I like to have a few machines going all at once; the noise is comforting to me. So besides the washing machine, I get the bread machine whirring. Sometimes the dishwasher, too. The thought of all that manpower (woman power?) contributing to the cause is so invigorating.

The windex, paper towels, furniture polish, and dust-cloth all follow me in merry measure as I play my clean-up tune. My little darlings are slaving away at their cleaning tasks too, and they move out of my way like trailer-park dwellers in the path of a tornado. A white one.

Sometimes, just for the sheer fun of it, I clean other people's houses. I don't know why.
I warned you this was weird.

Don't get the wrong idea. A fanatic I am not.
A peek into our closets, kitchen drawers, pantry, and mud-room cabinet will prove that I can be selective in my cleanliness. I'm not very systematic about windows, either.

When the cleaning frenzy is over, I collapse onto the couch with a book and a cup of coffee. The smell of lemon and Murphy's Oil Soap beats any scented candle, at that point of time. The kids seem cheerier and easier to get along with. Or maybe its that my outlook has brightened.

Life is so much more approachable when the house is clean.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Thanks for praying. I think things went okay with the exam, but I do't hear results until later.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Moods are always better when work has been done, especially housework!

1:45 PM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

You can come clean my house any day since I don't like to clean.

Sue and I are having a great time. We have been at a conference since Thursday night. We drive back to her house tomorrow. The conference was near Houston. You know me - I like travel adventures.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home