Friday, March 17, 2006

A Slice of my Life:

-three rambuncious girls screaming up and down the stairs, just being silly. It's ok with me, and fun for them. When Hubby gets home, it will be out of their systems...

-#1 Son playing a Haydn Concerto over the din.

-the traditional corned beef & cabbage on the stove. This may not occur again anytime soon, as I was stunned by the added ingredients on the beef label. Who heads the conspiracy to slowly poison the Irish in this manner, anyway?

-I helped Carina rehearse 3 chorus classes today. It was interesting and challenging in its own way, although it made me fondly recall weekly rehearsals with Albany Pro Musica, the amazing group I accompanied for many seasons. Sigh.

-I held a barn owl in my hands today. Barreling home from Madrid tonight, I heard a distinctive whump on the passenger side door. Being curious, I turned around to see what it could've been.
In the glare of my high-beams on the side of the road, thoroughly befuddled, sat a wise and feathery statue. He was weighing his options: fly some more or lay down to rest for a spell. I scooped him up gingerly and spoke to him for a bit before he took off securely into the star-spangled night.
This habit of talking to animals, somewhat Dr. Doolittle-ish, comes quite naturally to me. And yes, for your information, he talked back. He said, who?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not everyone gets to hold a barn owl...too cool!

9:54 PM  
Blogger 르네 said...

nice =)

10:04 PM  
Blogger kb said...

I'm glad I could help you out with some helpful phrases;)

Of course, the most helpful phrase of all you already know... "I'm going to Paris in the spring!"

My Grandma always had us come and celebrate St. P.'s day some weekend day in March. I'm still confused. We're not Irish.

Toot-a-loo you.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I need to muster up a bit more interest in animals. I don't know if it was completely saturated in my childhood (my mother was endless in her fascination with the animal world) or just that I'm not programmed that way. Whatever - EE (Elisabeth Elliot) recently included some thoughts in her devotional that challenged me to be a bit more appreciative of the creation around me. So I will try!

And I saw a recipe for more traditional corned beef that I had hoped to try. I don't know how to link on a comment so here is the URL to cut and paste: http://beef.allrecipes.com/AZ/CornedBeefandCabbage.asp
Might be worth a try some day!

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home