Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Visas, Passports, and other Scary Official Documents


It's time to think about our trip.

As hard as it is to analyze oneself, I think I can state that I am a fairly organized person. Oh yes, I forget appointments and birthdays every now and then. And you wouldn't nominate my bedroom closet for any home magazine centerfold. But generally, I keep things in order around me. Visitors to our home admire our slate chalkboard, covered with neatly printed school assignments for each day. Meals are served promptly, with the food pyramid in mind. Okay, maybe the furniture needs dusting, but I am pretty obsessive about vacuuming. (so much that no one knows where to store our 2 vacuums. They are always just left out, biding their time before their next gig.)

So, self-kudos behind me, I freely admit that I abhor planning vacations. Spontaneity seems to be my credo in all things of leisure. Itineraries leave me cold. Train schedules, airline ticket business, and reservation details cause me to shudder. I leave the whole shebang to my hubby, and he does a great job. We agree on a lot when we are on the road: travel lightly, eat frugally, sleep cheaply, walk everywhere we can, take in everything we can, and breathe deeply. He bends to my penchant for museums and classical music. I bend to..... well, pretty much he lets me do what I want. It works out well, really.

Being the "organized" person that I am, though, the house will be orderly before we depart. Two lovely grandmas are taking turns commandeering the home-front, and along with #1 Daughter and #1 Son, they will keep the cogs moving smoothly. ( See, Friend # 7: that's how one uses the word cog.) Hopefully, the larder will be well-appointed, the blackboard detailed, the laundry caught up, and contact info in place by the phone by Monday morning.

Just set me down in Paris, sir, and I will take it from there....

8 Comments:

Blogger 르네 said...

I smile just thinking about the fun you will have. =)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Well, it seems to me that this vacation may be more to your liking than my hubby's -- he's the one that likes a plan for every minute and place and ticket and route and vehicle and person and schedule and... well you get the idea. This vacation is sorely lacking many such details. A bit stretching for one such as him. But it sounds like a fun adventure and I'm sure between your hubby and mine, enough care will be taken in regard to such mundane concerns. Aren't we glad for such caregivers?

With all my heart I wish you fun galore!

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure your house will be orderly after the NNY nertz championship game is held at your house while you are gone. You know how much Ana loves to play and throw cards around.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

"needs dusting" ??? nan. Come on. Make me proud here.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

and the word i wanted to use was "pog" not cog.

2:15 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

it's casual voice, here, lor.
y'know?

and "pog" is not a word. use it and you die.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

I would not normally get into the ring with you word lovers, but do you possibly mean penchant rather than penchance?

10:19 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

very correct you are.
I hereby dub you an honorary member!
thanks.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home