Wednesday, July 05, 2006

it's HHHUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGE-UUHHHH

I notice advertising slogans. They are fodder for conversation as I tool around town with friend or family. Some deserve to be crticized:

Bugs eat Paint. Wash the Bugs off.

Bugs don't eat paint. How silly. No car wash will get my business with such drivel on their signs!
Some need analyzing, but are well worth the mental workout. Dunkin Donuts had a roadside banner displaying a huge iced coffee, headlined:

Just ice it and get back in there.

The athletes among us would get the entendre immediately, but it took me a few tries before getting the joke. It's oh so clever. I was actually proud of myself for catching on. (hey, sports were never my thing....)
Take M&M's newest venture. They have White Pearl M&M's now, courtesy of Pirates of the Caribbean II. Lovers of vivid verbs will approve of their advertising tag:

Plunder some before they're gone.

It's not often one can use the word plunder. Unless you are a pirate or a viking, both of which are pretty obsolete these days.

Since it is summer, and since we (supposedly) have more time to ponder such things, I may add to this silly list. (Too many profound posts may make the natives restless.)


4 Comments:

Blogger 르네 said...

crticized? --> criticized =)

10:16 PM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

I'll have you know I used plunder on my website the other day. Of course it was in reference to pirates, but still. . .

the plan here is to don our plunderest and piratest clothes and view the newest Captain Jack Sparrow adventure tomorrow night in full garb.

savvy?

8:29 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

I see...about plundering.
but: FECKERING?

can Christains use that word???

10:00 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

Christians.(sp)

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home