Saturday, October 21, 2006

opera-lovers, rejoice!

Having a student living in our home, coupled with our connections to college life and my work on campus, explains why I still think in semesters.

This semester, I was inclined to curb my per-diem accompanying at the music school in order to focus on hearth & home. So far, my plan has worked brilliantly. Mom has daily wielded her school-marm stick, efficiently filled the chalkboard every morning with academic goals, and has generally felt unstressed. Mid-terms were held this past week though, so I was called in to ply my trade a few times. It was fun. When not under time-constraints, I thoroughly enjoy performing with the students.
The one event in which I regretted not being a part was this semester's opera production. Crane is debuting a new opera by composer Paul Siskind, The Sailor Boy and the Falcon, and the guest performer will be opera star (and Crane grad) Stephanie Blythe. When I played for the auditions this August I felt that twinge of "I'm gonna miss out on all the fun."
Well, thankfully, I'm not. (Not altogether, anyway!) The director called me last minute to fill a few "holes" in their schedule. She was much relieved when I acquiesced, and I am thrilled to enjoy the "gravy" of a well-rehearsed production without sitting through the lonnnnggg process of repitive rehearsing.
My husband intones regularly, "You are so spoiled."
"Yeah," I reply charmingly. "But not a spoiled brat."

Spoiled brats aren't grateful, you see.

1 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Opera...my favorite. Can I come too?

Thanks for your comment on my blog regarding my most recent post. It touched my heart.

I arrived at the hotel about an hour ago. The Neville's and Levendusky's are great.

See you soon.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home