Wednesday, November 01, 2006

grace-grabbing

These are the headlines of my life. Today.

-a hamper of clean rumpled laundry still stands where I left it early this morning.

-a stack of difficult music beckons me from the top of the piano.

-colonies of dust-bunnies bustle in the corners when I dash past them. (My bible and nifty multi-colored markers are gathering a different kind of dust. I don't think you can attach an animal's name to it, though...

-a short trip to the meat market brings me into the back room to comfort someone about their tangled family situation. I had to put my listening ears on.

-complicated violin excercises demand to be untangled at the keyboard, while #1 Son stands squinting and listening.

-the definition of "Middle East" needs to be discussed.

-correcting a math lesson turns into a demonstration of sorts. This is a stretch for me, you betcha.

-a dear boy needs to be shuttled across town to help his dad on a roof.

-the phone rings and it's truly a dear person on the other end. Only I can't talk right now...

-a letter comes from an old friend who is facing extreme trials. Words of encouragement form in my head as I stack schoolbooks that need to be organized. (by me)

When I think of all the elderly folks in nursing homes that don't feel needed, I bow in thanksgiving. Not that I am indispensable (that could be mini-sermon!), but I am needed. Although "being needed" can get on my nerves at times, I am trying to change my perspective.
Instead of the soundtrack of Bob Wiley (What About Bob?) wringing his hands and whining incessantly,
"I need! I need! I neeeeeeeeed!"
I choose to ponder this:

"Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home