Thursday, February 08, 2007

ants in my pants

Right on schedule for this time of year, I am getting antsy.
Winter has set in with its blue-white sameness. Salt deposits drape the sides of my car, leaving me with the willies. (The "salt eats paint" advertisement at the local car wash doesn't help at all; not when the mercury huddles at minus 12.) A grocery trip to Massena doesn't lessen the molligrubs. Celery in cellophane bags, pre-peeled baby carrots, and perfectly quartered meats in yellow syrofoam tubs scream same old same old to me from under the clean florescent lighting. Extremely overweight people sling frozen dinners and sugar-laden cereals onto the conveyor belts left and right. I primly arrange my dark green veggies and non-processed cheese in such a way that they might seem preachy. It is my good deed for the day.
The "Winter Blues" are announced in the local papers and on the nightly news, like they are a touring rock band that gigs here in February. Not in my backyard, I intone. I reflect on my counter-attacks: the mudroom is swathed in peacock blue now. Furniture has been moved for the fun of it. New paint was flung on the living room walls, too. I have played with food, reading library cookbooks for inspiration and preparing veggies in innovative ways. I attended a few concerts, pulled some old scores from my shelves to test my fingers ands memory, and listened to some Middle Eastern music I found online. I read the Bible a lot. I visited a few local cafes with friends and with Hubby. I dream about kayaking. Regularly.
I feel like doing something different; something extraordinary. Out of the box doesn't even begin to describe where I want to roam. No trip to Spain is looming, as it was last year. No Dessert Night planned, which for our church members has been an oasis in the middle of winter. My hope of a weekend trip to my mom's is quickly diminishing: the three-day forecast says snow, snow, and snow.
Today's fix? I will bundle up the clan and head to Friend #44's new salon. We will bring tool boxes, paint supplies, and good humor. We will toil together for a few hours so she can get this baby on the road. What fun to see her dreams take shape! Then we will grab some Jamaican take-out and come home with steaming boxes of yum.
Take that, Winter Blues.

5 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Want something different to do...you should come filming with me.

I've spent the past day with a filming crew who has been to diverse places. They've shared stories about their filming adventures and they are great!! We have one more day of filming tomorrow in Potsdam. Let fun continue.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are "molligrubs"?
How will a trip to J and F's HELP??!!
judy

6:06 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

mul·li·grubs /ˈmʌlɪˌgrʌbz/ Pronunciation[muhl-i-gruhbz]
–noun (used with a singular or plural verb) Southern U.S.
ill temper; colic; grumpiness.

so I spelled it wrong.
but I had the general idea....

9:30 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Thanks for the help at the salon. You will be tickled pink (maybe blue) when you see how nice it is looking. Tomorrow I will head to Massena first thing to grab some missing items and return the rejects. Whew! I must admit, this project has kept me so busy that the mid-winter blues have been overlooked. In fact, if I could just sleep all day tomorrow that would suit me just find. No ants in these pants!
See you in the afternoon - I know you will love it!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

i was just about to write a post of the selfsame subject. walking 3/4 of a mile in the bitter, wet cold toward a chemistry exam this morning had me in quite a state of mulligrubs meself.

love you.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home