Friday, February 16, 2007

the greatest means of grace

"God has been bestowing His grace upon us from the day we were saved.The ways by which we may receive grace from God are called "the means of grace". Prayer and listening to a message are two examples, for through them we can draw near to God and receive grace. This descriptive term, "the means of grace", has been universally accepted by the the Church down through the centuries. We receive grace through meetings, through prayers, and so forth. But surely the greatest means of grace which we cannot afford to neglect is the discipline of the Holy Spirit. Nothing can be compared with this means of grace - not prayer, not Bible readings, meetings, meditation, or praise. Among all the God-given means of grace, it would seem this is the most important." ~Watchman Nee "The Release of the Spirit"

I needed the straight talk of my brother Watchman today.
Will I ever grow so mature or strong that I can dispense with the discipline of the Holy Spirit? As one of my friends dryly retorts: ummmm....not so much. Clothing, eating, and drinking are not exempt from His rule. My circumstances? His. Emotions? My will? His. How about my thought life? His again. Watchman asserts clearly, "Whatever the things to which you are bound, God will deal with them one after another."
What kind of God is this that is so intimately involved in the deepest parts of me?

1 O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord. 5 You hem me in--behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Psalm 139 1-6 (NIV)

3 Comments:

Blogger kb said...

Just want to say...well...I was thinking...and...well...

I miss you.

And your little family, too.

4:26 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

aww.
we all send our love to you.
remember when we went canoeing and took you to a swamp?
yeah. good times.

6:34 PM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Watchman Nee and Psalm 139 are two of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.

P.s. I can't wait for our summer kayaking trips...can we go to the swamp.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home