Friday, May 04, 2007

lullaby by the light of the moon

A phosphorescent full moon beckoned me from slumber last night, sending its dreamy and other-wordly light cascading over rumpled blankets and sheets straight into my droopy eyes. When I rolled over to escape the blue-blare, Mr. Moon found me again by reflecting his nursery-rhyme features into the dresser mirror. That did it. I was officially moonstruck. The digital clock read 3 a.m.
Normally, I love the moon keeping midnight company with me. But not last night. Hands down, my day could've been classified right up there with a certain Alexander's, and I knew that sleeplessness would dredge that fact up from the sea of sleepy forgetfulness. Sure enough, within minutes, my heart was heavy with worry and my throat was tight with fretful tears. I was tempted to shake Hubby from his much-needed sleep for a word of comfort, and only polite consideration of his exhaustion kept me from doing so.
"I need a hand, Lord," I whispered inwardly, desperately.
Within moments, out of the drifts of forgotten songs, from the very bottom of the stack of dusty boxes in that proverbial attic in my memory, came the opening of a choral selection I learned to love in childhood:
Lift thine eyes, oh lift thine eyes
to the mountains.
Whence cometh, whence cometh
whence cometh help?
Thy help cometh from the LORD
the Maker of heaven and earth....
The a capella women's trio from Mendelssohn's "Elijah" was sung perfectly, as if on a CD track, from start to finish, immediately followed by the next movement, joined by organ and strings:
He watching over Israel slumbers not nor sleeps....
I laid as if in a trance, completely awestruck by surprise at this impromptu and uncalled for concert. All of the lines wove through my mind: organ, strings, and voices, all perfectly recalled by some computer-chip sent by heaven to comfort me. When the voices fell silence and the organ piped its last sweet muted notes, I was overwhelmed by peace. I fell asleep holding this reminder to my heart: I serve a God that tenderly watches over all His children, at all times.
He never sleeps, and His help is as near as a call for help. It has been many a year since I have been sung to sleep.
I had forgotten how much I liked it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

We are so limited; He never is. A wonderful thing to know when needs press in around us and we cannot meet them all. He can. He can. And He will. Sleep in peace...jochob

7:48 AM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Praying for you and a restful night sleep all through the night.

Love ya.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home