Monday, May 07, 2007

yuck

I like reading recipes. I like inventing recipes. As my readers know, I also like to broadcast my food-experiments on this here blog. The following food ideas won't tantalize any taste buds, I don't think. Here are some unbelievable recipes from the 1951 edition of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.
No kidding.

Prunes in Bacon

Tomato Frappe (tomatoes, apples, water, sugar, lemon juice, ginger root, maraschino sirup) Cook and freeze to a mush. For roast lamb, ham or turkey.

Brains with Black Butter ( isn't there a culinary term for "brains"?)

Scrambled Calf's Brains

Tripe in Batter (tripe is the inner lining of the stomach of beef animals)

Stewed Cucumbers (WHY?)

Baked Oranges

Rhubarb Punch

Avocado Mousse

Frogs Legs Newburg

A truly inventive cook could take any of these main ingredients and mix up the preparation techniques. How about Frogs Legs Mousse, Stewed Oranges, or Calf Brains Punch?


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

goodness, nan, those are so awful!

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home