Saturday, September 15, 2007

stirring, confessing, & encouraging

" Jon with Sausage"

Drying on the Porch Swing

Fall Decor

Seasonal Cuisine

"Many hands make light work" is the theme of the day around here. We are hosting some international students for dinner at the request of Friend #37. To comply with such a request is our pleasure, for certain. A crockpot and a kettle are full to the brim with savory sauce and the kitchen is brimming with the scent of garlic, onion, tomatoes, and fresh bread. Everyone pitched in--even the boy that doesn't live here.
The house is finally properly appointed to greet the harvest season. Last evening, while the sun was settling deep into the western sky and billowy breezes were gently tossing the grapevines and raspberry canes, Friend #7 and I cobbled together some seasonal decor on the side porch. While she gamely chugged along full steam ahead, I shadowed her progress and made dubious suggestions.
"Um, shouldn't we put some gourds on the window sill, too?"
"Sure." "
Aren't those candles too tall for those hurricane lamps?"
"Sure."
"Could you put some more color in this basket?"
"Sure."
Honest-to-goodness, I don't know how she puts up with me.
Other things are simmering on the back burner around here, at least in the heart of this here blogger. Thoughts of a sweet baby girl hover just beneath my sometimes furrowed brow. A long wooden spoon reaches deeply into a thick sauce to fold in meatballs and sausage, and a scripture springs to mind:
Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Yesterday, my dear pastor exhorted me to keep a "bold confession". Today, I am doing some stirring. Tomorrow morning, we will eagerly gather to raise the rafters with songs to our great God. Let's throw a liberal handful of encouragement in the mix and call it a weekend well-lived.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that I love seeing pictures of the inside of your home? Well, I do! Just thought I'd let ya know.
:-)
Jude

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where *did* that sideboard come from? I *love* it! (here I am looking at the background instead of the focus!)

9:33 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

deb: by the sideboard, I think you mean the tibetan armoire. I bought it at an antiques shop in Troy NY six years ago. It is quite old. We use it to store table linens.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking at your pictures makes me long for an older home again. I miss the woodfloors, the wide wood work and trim, the character. I would love another fixer-upper.

I also miss the open fields around it. I sure hope our next move is back out in the country, or at least to a neighborhood with big, roomy lots. I long for space.

Your home looks lovely with all it's autumn dressings.

9:26 AM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Friend #32 requested to host international students?

I missed the invitation or you've devised a new numbering system for your friends.

Signed friend #32.

11:48 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

Friend #32:

I fixed the error.
Friend #37 will be relieved to know that he doesn't lead the women's ministry at church NOR work with garbage all day.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home