Tuesday, February 19, 2008

a book in every room

I am always always always reading something.
Here is a short list of where my nose has been lately.

Beloved by Toni Morrison

What amazing writing. If you know Alex Haley's Roots, you can begin by comparing it to that. But after a chapter or two (if you can hang in there!), the realization hits: the reader is being led into a world that is brutal, raw and debilitating. I put this book down a number of times before I could bring myself to finish it. I am so thankful I did.
It is not a book for the fainthearted.

The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel

Our church is offering a class on this book, and the only reason I enrolled is because I enjoy the teaching-style of one of our elders, Bob Dale. My brain is being stretched as I knock off each chapter. I am not a science-minded person, but Strobel's writing style is accessible and engaging to me. Yesterday I read few bits aloud to Hubby in the car, and it sparked some great conversation. It would make a great science-read for home-schoolers!

Paradise Lost by John Milton

I should love this book.
I am trying to love this book.
I will finish at least a portion of this book.

I am not loving this book.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
These are great tales for reading aloud. And that is just what I am doing, every morning before I dismiss my brilliant students to their assignments. Even Friend #37 got hooked, merely by eves- dropping while he was eating breakfast. Now he lurks around the house looking for clues for no ascertainable reason.
There is nothing NOT to like about these tales.

The Epistle of Second Timothy by The Apostle Paul (and the Holy Spirit)
The kids and I are studying this New Testament letter. We are breaking down each verse, digging out the action verbs, Paul's commands to Timothy, and the main points of each chapter. It is a very personal document filled with emotional testimony and fatherly care. I love that Paul asks Timothy to bring him his cloak before winter.
The apostle Paul was a real man who loved God very much. What a read!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to hang out with you next week. Hope Abby can work it into myschedule.

Phyllis

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each, in itself, an undertaking of massive proportions....Milton?...its been years since I tackled THAT!!!!
More power to ya".
Michele

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home