Monday, August 25, 2008

from a shoebox

One of my self-proclaimed projects for the summer was to organize old family photos. When I say old, I mean spanning the last hundred years or so.

Over the last weeks, I have sifted through them, selected the cream of the crop, matted them by hand, and framed them in simple gold-metal frames gathered from yard sales/thrift shops. All that is left is to arrange them on the walls.

The one snag in this project was locating the jackpot of photos from Hubby's side of the family. (Let me tell you: they are beauties!) While Hubby and kids were away on a 10-day trip --and the time was ripe for spreading out photos on the living room floor for days on end--, I turned the house upside down trying to find them. Last night, after I mentioned this, Hubby rummaged briefly through his filing cabinet and handed them over. Uhhh....thanks!

I wish he hadn't made it look so effortless. Maybe he could have grunted and sighed a lot more. Or used Christian swear-words like doggone it and oh for the love of Pete. But he didn't. He just reached into his files, grabbed them, and slid them onto the coffee table.

Now my project is re-begun. Amazing family photos that have never seen the light of day in many a year will soon grace our walls.

Today, totally unconnected to all the family-photo hooplah on my end, I received a CD in the mail from my brother Jim. For the sheer pleasure of it, he had family slides from the 60's digitalized. I do not remember ever seeing these. Does he know how much work he has just made for me?

Just kidding.

Soon, they will be on display. But I must show the world what has been sitting in a shoe box for over 40 years.
Here is a sampling:

My cute mom. She is saying, "I know I'm cute. What's the big deal?"

My adorable parents. My mom is wearing thick woolen socks and my dad's pants are too short, but they are still completely adorable.


Me. I don't remember having such weird toes.

Grandpa Rapant, Dad, and Uncle Bob. I don't know the names of the deer in the foreground.

Uncle Charlie, my grandfather's brother. He died a confirmed bachelor. Both my brother and I have marveled at the happiness on his face. Boat, lake, fishing pole and two beers. Life has been good to you, Uncle Charlie.

Dad with his catch

The epitome of an Adirondack hunter: my grandfather.

Dad with a pike.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look just like your mom "beautiful". I just love old family photos.
Blessings, Nancy C.

1:41 PM  
Blogger 르네 said...

too much fun! the pics are amazing! =)

3:23 PM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Great photos!! I particularly like the one with you and Mickey Mouse.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You *do* look like your Mom! How adorable!

Say! You should enter next year's "Adirondack Life" magazine's photo contest ... they should have a category for 'blast from the past' photos--or they will, after they see yours! http://www.adirondacklife.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=134&Itemid=181

7:59 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

deb:

thanks for the cool suggestion!
amazingly enough, I had already thought of that!!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these memories Nanc....the hunting pics are before my arrival in the family.....you were...and are the bestest little girl....precious then and now!
Mom

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home