Monday, April 13, 2009

the scribblings of a mad man?

I love when my children share their art work with me. The following brilliant illustrations were drawn by #1 Son.


Inside the mind of this seventeen-year-old, there are stages and speakers and drum sets and lighting equipment. Detail is key. Click on the photo to note the little sound and light waves emanating from the speakers and light-stands. I love those.
As a true home-schooling mom, I offer to give him what I call "Art Credit".

As a true home-schooling mom, I can call it whatever I want.

These intricate diagrams are not to be confused with scribbles. Or artistic ranting of a mad man. Or what a five year old boy draws on the back of the church bulletin during the sermon. AND, these drawings have nothing to do with Star Wars. Or Transformers. Or even Mutant Ninja Turtle-Heads, or whatever they are called.

No, this is serious, real-life problem-solving material.

The boxes, arrows, and the strange compilation of letters and numbers all make sense to him. The long lines are wires and cables which all connect things to other things, which in turn make different things turn on, flash, and so forth. They do other things too, which I can hear #1 Son say to me as, in my imagination, he reads this over my shoulder.

"Mom. Don't you know ANYthing?"

Yes, I do.
I know that all your scribblings made for a very enjoyable concert by our favorite band.

As a special reward for these introspective, detailed, and hieroglyphical bursts of artistic expression, he has been invited to travel with them next weekend and do it all over again.

Ah, the doors that open when one has a gift with a pencil.

p.s. The photos were snapped by #1 Daughter. But that's another post.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say the gift started with technical vision of the engineering sort, and drifted down through said pencil. Some people don't even want to know how all that stuff works ... and then there is your son.

Be proud. Be very proud.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Ben said...

oh... dear... me...

9:52 AM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

ah. he's okay. just okay.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home