Monday, April 17, 2006

Hope Quest

hope, n.
1. A desire of some good, accompanied with at least a slight expectation of obtaining it, or a belief that it is obtainable.
2. Confidence in a future event; the highest degree of well-founded expectation of good.

hope, v.
1. To look forward with expectation and desire; to cherish a desire of good, with some expectation of obtaining it, or belief that it is obtainable.
2. To place confidence; to trust with confident expectation of good.

"..but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one also hope for what he sees?
But if we hope for what we do not see, with perserverance we wait eagerly for it."
-Romans 8: 24b-25

In my book, hope is more precious than gold. Without that added ingredient, every element of the day is hard, if not nigh impossible. Without hope, the milk is spilt, our ship is sunk, our banner trampled, the cake is fallen, the towel is thrown in, and the baby is thrown out with the bath-water. All seems bleak and withered; scattered beyond the gathering. What kryptonite is to Superman, that's what hopelessness is to us.
But with a dose of hope, all is not lost. We get our second wind, we whistle songs of faith in dark places, the curtain rises on the second act, and Popeye gets his spinache. Hope doesn't change the facts. It changes us, so we can change the facts.

Where can we obtain this wondrous stuff?

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from Him." Ps. 62:5

"but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31


I don't know 'bout you, but I'm getting me some.


2 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Is it a Gershwin tune I'm thinking of? I don't think so, but I don't know who to credit for these fun and crazy lyrics - I suppose I will have to Google it. But your post made me think of

"You're the cream in my coffee,
You're the salt in my stew.
You will always be my necessity,
I'd be lost without you."

Hope - where would we be without hope? A dose every day is highly recommended, and Christians have the unending supply.

Love you!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

YOU'RE THE CREAM IN MY COFFEE
From the show "Hold Everything" (1929)
(B.G. DeSylva / Lew Brown / Ray Henderson)

Ruth Etting - 1929
Ben Selvin & His Orch.(Vocal: Jack Palmer) - 1929
Ted Weems & His Orch. (vocal: Parker Gibbs) - 1929
Also recorded by: Nat King Cole; Teresa Brewer; Mel Torme; Ray Conniff; Gordon MacRae; Marlene Dietrich;
Thelonius Monk; Stephane Grappelli; Earl Hines.

(for your info...)

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home