Sunday, April 23, 2006

Numbering My Friends

As for the method to my assigning numbers to dear ones, there is none.
As for the reason?
Gimmick, I guess. The quest for anonymity is futile, as my circle is small.

Life-long friends are precious commodities. I have come close to writing about my Kenosha friends once or twice already, but my attempts were thwarted by my "lackluster word-smithing skills." That sounds like Friend #5a's way of saying,"inability to find the right words." He likes to soup things up with dashes of head-power, and it's one habit that endears him to me. She (Friend #5b) likes to spice her conversation with detail, rich detail. The kind of memory for detail that Laura Ingalls Wilder weaves into her tales, that's what I'm talking about.
The meals, prayers, tears, and laughter we have shared over the last 20-something years add up to some unbelievable number. Even though they are many miles away right now, hearing her voice over the phone immediately brings my heart near again.
Friend #5a and Friend #5b. That's them: the dearest and the best. I could take their offspring and raise 'em as my own, although I couldn't do as amazing a job as they are doing. We will have a North Country visit from them in a few months, and whatever time we have with them will be endearing, invigorating, and inspiring. But one thing for certain: it will never be enough.

Here's to Life-Long Friends.
Excelsior!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

Will they be home at the same time that I could be home? Cause that would be the most amazing wonderful time ever!!!

7:46 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

hmmmmm.
I think around Graduation. End of June?

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. You listed me as #60. Wouldn't a more correct number be #5ab1? ;-) Can't wait to see you guys in mid-June.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Mid to late June maybe. Graduation is in the teens, I think. But too lazy to trouble myself with moving to the shelf to get my calendar and look it up. If your foot felt like mine when you moved, you would think twice before getting up, too!

7:05 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

note to abbi:
although there is theoretically neither rhyme NOR reason to my numbering, you are a young adult with an identity of your own.

and #60 fits you fine.

note to deb:
no, you don't have a number yet. Would you like to choose your own??

this numbering-thing has taken on a life of its own!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home