Monday, June 12, 2006

out of the salt shaker and into the world...

Wouldn't you love to read some amazing stories of what God is doing around the world? I know I would. Yesterday, I purchased a copy of 20/20 Vision by Bill and Amy Stearns. And this afternoon, while in the passenger seat of a hybrid Toyota Highlander driven by Friend #32, I am gobbling this book up. ( yeah. preposition at the end of a sentence...I know.)

More than a ledger of inspiring true tales and jaw-dropping statistics about the accomplishing of the Great Commission, (as if that isn't enough!) this book gives examples of strategies that are working, miraculous accounts of divine intervention, and practical ways individuals and churches make a difference. Since I am still happily mulling over yesterday's message about salt & light, it's no wonder this passage jumped off the page when I came upon it:

"The Roman Doignetes received the following report from an outpost in the empire in A.D. 150:

'The Christians are distinguished from other men neither by country nor language nor by the customs which they observe. For they neither inhabit cities of theor own nor employ a particular form of speech nor lead a life which is marked out by a singularity....They dwell in their own countries, but simply as sojourners. As citizens, they share in all things with others and endure all things as if foreigners.
Every foreign land is to them as their native country, and the land of their birth as a land of strangers.... They are in the flesh, but they do not live after the flesh. They pass their days on earth, but they are citizens of heaven. They obey the prescribed law of the land and at the same time surpass the laws by their lives.
They love all men and are persecuted by all.... They are poor yet make many rich....To sum up in a word: What the soul is in the body, that is a Christian in the world.'
Fulfilling their role as salt and light, voluntarily or otherwise, Christians through the ages have spread the blessing of the resemption of Christ across geographical and cultural boundries."

(p.153-154, 20/20 Vision)

I'm challenged. How about you?

1 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

I enjoyed you reading to me as I was driving. Don't finish the book before we leave so you have something to read to me on our trip home.

How was your day at the museums?

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home