Tuesday, July 18, 2006

in with the new

No one drinks buttermilk these days.

When I was young, my grandmother (Gruna) lived with us for a season and she always had a quart in the fridge. At midnight when she couldn't sleep, she would toddle to the kitchen for a pickle-sandwich chased by a slug of buttermilk straight from the carton. Satisfied, she would sleep like a stone. That's a home-remedy I don't necessarily recommend, but it's family folklore, for sure.

I have been buying a quart of buttermilk now and then. (I picked one up for old time's sake, actually.) With it, my pancakes have risen to new heights. ha. (the ha is for old time's sake, too. My great-aunt and my Gruna's letters to each other were fraught with them...) I also made the blueberry-lemon cake on this month's cover of Family Circle twice this month. The secret ingredient? Buttermilk.

Here we have it, folks, What's old is new again.
Buttermilk: nouveau cuisine.

Wouldn't Gruna be proud.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made blueberry buttermilk pancakes on Sunday. And cranberry buttermilk scones on Friday. They were pretty good, if I do say so myself.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chocolate cake recipe my family's been using for years (from Helen K.) calls for sour cream, sour milk, or buttermilk. My fam has always used sour cream except when there isn't any, in which case sour milk or mayonnaise (I know it sounds gross, but it isn't) is used. We've always loved the recipe.

For Gabriel's birthday I decided to use buttermilk. After all, buttermilk makes anything better, right?

I was not disappointed. A loved recipe became an absolutely must-be-loved recipe! Yea for buttermilk!

(And yea for you helping my mom out!)

11:06 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

abbi: send the scone recipe please!

brietta: I enjoyed seeing your adorable children today....

4:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Ever since some recipe (was it Danica's wedding cake?) called for buttermilk, I have been dabbling more and more with it, and like Bri I have discovered that even favorite recipes can become more favored!

Skip fat-free. If you're going for flavor you might as well get it all!

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would be interested to know which friend # i am?... so that i can keep watch for my day of fame on this here blog. :)

love you nanc... missed you down at the water yesterday.

-lizi

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home