Sunday, July 16, 2006

Patsy sings

Flouncy dress
and bobbed chestnut hair
wend demurely through the band

the filtered light of the swivel spot
and rasp of rosin on bow
call up the sound of scratchy vinyl

and Patsy sings.

crooning and bending over sixths and thirds
eyes down under fringed lash
baby hands thump the poplin of her dress
white pumps tip and tap

and Patsy sings

country fans gasp and clap
craning in their seats
"is it her?
yessir. that there's some singin,
Patsy Cl-ine.

You tell 'em, Louise.
Lor-dee."

over bacon & eggs
I hum a snatch of heartbreak
hear the crackle of kitchen radio
and palm-warm a half-thought-of cup

and Patsy sings.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was great, wasn't she?

1:15 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

You certainly took it all in and put it all out again beautifully. I think we should send this to Amy and Kathy and Kay and Vic. They would love it!

I guess you liked it alright. I know I sure did!

5:25 PM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

sure!

the show has been on my mind all day.
I loved it!

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home