Monday, July 10, 2006

War & Peace

"There never was a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

I read this proclamation, and many others in his own hand, last month at the Library of Congress. (A fabulous exhibit: "Benjamin Franklin: In His Own Words".) At the time, it seemed to ring true. Having in mind the tangled political affairs of this world, I chimed amen and went on my way.

Yesterday's sermon on Ephesians 6:11-18 invited me back to the drawing board, though.

"For we are not wrestling with flesh and blood [contending only with physical opponents], but against the despotisms, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly [supernatural] sphere.
...Pray at all times [on every occasion, in every season] in the Spirit, with all [manner of] prayer and entreaty. To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints [God's consecrated people]."
(Ephesians 6:12,18) The Amplified Bible


Lest I grow complacent while sipping iced tea in a shaded hammock, I ponder these words afresh. They demand a response on my part; one that rocks my pleasure boat. An unseen kingdom, a supernatural enemy, wrestling, keeping alert, having purpose: something is going on around here! Those on the Christian bandwagon know what I'm talking about.

With apologies to Mr. Franklin, I've known both a bad peace and a good war. And without trying to sound too hawkish, I'll take the good war (over the other) anytime.

Onward, Christian Soldier!

2 Comments:

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Amen! Take it from one who has made a bad peace with the enemy and also is seeking to rout him out, some wars are good and needed and some peace shouldn't be.
Imagine that, coming from peace-loving Christians!

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait--you mean you're not a pacifist?

:)

(Good thoughts. You've got me thinking about areas in my life I've made a bad peace... about people--including myself--of whom I've said, "This is as good as it gets," in certain areas. Thanks for stirring me up!)

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home