Thursday, July 06, 2006

to each his own...

My dear fam is conquering an Adirondack High Peak this morning. They will slowly but surely reaching the pinnacle, only to dip valleyward in order to scale yet another. Today's agenda: Seward, Donaldson, and Emmonds. I would list tomorrow's peaks, but I can't read Hubby's 5 am scrawl. Officially, there are 46 Adirondack High Peaks, and my beloved hikers are aiming to climb them all. As for me, I once did 1/2 of one. Actually, I turned around halfway up, which would technically make it 1/4 of one.

To prove to myself that I am really NOT a wimp, I will kayak the Raquette River today. What I like about kayaking is a) it's not on an incline, and b) one can stop paddling and still get somewhere, if pointed downstream. There are other things I like about kayaking, but they mostly have to do with being by myself. It is a luxury to be alone with my thoughts.

My piano bench will be warmed today, as I have a Mozart score and a Dvorak score to learn: another luxury afforded me. Some Mahler scores rest on my stack of music, begging to be leafed through. While the washmachine is churning, I will attend to these rewarding tasks. Hopefully, it will rain this afternoon. Hard. ( just here, though, not on the mountain!) The kind of rain that makes me say: Oh well, I guess there's nothing else to do but shut the windows, ignore the phone, and stretch out on the couch with a book.

If anyone calls me, I'll get back to you. Eventually.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"They will slowly but surely reaching the pinnacle"

*They will slowly but surely reach the pinnacle...

you need a proofreader ;)

3:29 PM  
Blogger 르네 said...

oops

~me

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy--
It's Cory in Florida---- Judy's pal. Great stuff here! You're a very talented writer.

One piece of advice: keep up the hiking!! I used to hike a lot in the Adirondacks before we headed south and it literally changed my life. It's a great hobby and I found it to be rewarding-- physically and spiritually!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home