Monday, August 07, 2006

Hay there

I was seriously sidetracked yesterday afternoon by an allergy attack. A hive of furious retaliatory bees had lodged in my head, invading the cracks of my nasal passages and pinning me helplessly to a box of kleenex. Conversation was sporadic, being held up for wild bouts of sneezing (yelling, really), blowing (honking), and the wait. You know the wait: an index finger held quaveringly, signaling the coming onslaught. Such violence. And all for innocent hay-dust from farm machinery in the neighboring meadow.

Retreating to my bedroom, I shut the world out in order to concentrate on my bees. If I was allowed to lie perfectly still, breathe deeply, find my center and think "out, bees", I could perhaps return to our happy company watching NASCAR in the air-conditioned family room. I am not making this up. I hate NASCAR, but that's really what I longed to do.

The end of this story: I medicated myself and went to bed early. This morning I feel one hundred percent better, although my head feels stunned and achy from one hundred sneezes.
I need to shore myself up though, because this Old Mother Hubbard needs to take stock of the empty cupboards and visit the grocery store.

I like to end my posts with a punch line called a stinger. But forgive my omission today, on account of my recovery from certain bees.

3 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Sorry to hear about your nose.

You should have called me and I could have brought my cats over to help out :).

12:28 PM  
Blogger Darlene Sinclair said...

Can you grocery shop for me, too? :)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Steve and Nancy(aka Morningstar) said...

Oh, I've loved finding your blog! Thanks for your inspirations, your weaving of words, your decorated descriptions of otherwise simple events....but most of all...how great to know you are a sister in Christ. God's richest blessings on you!
(Ps...don't know if you have your comments e-mailed to you...but I posted on your July 24th post! It was great! Thanks)

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home