Friday, August 04, 2006

my kind of day

First things first: rising early enough to watch the mist lift from the meadow lends me a thousand reasons for a long walk. Two deer ventured across the road on dainty stick-legs, leaving dew-laden boughs of brush waving lazily in their wake. With all the crackle and noise of yesterday's doings behind me, I push myself into a quicker pace. Quiet resides over the next rise, among the maple trees on the crest of the hill, in the cool, and I'm going there. Unfortunately, the deer flies reside there too, and they shatter the tranquility of otherwise perfect morning jaunts.

We are loading two green canoes onto a rusty red trailer. A camper's lunch (PBJ on wheat, grapes, and soda) is stuffed into a blue cooler. A green truck follows a yellow-striped road to a blue lake, loaded with six colorful people. Green and brown frogs will spring from yellow grass as our red faces hoist the green canoes onto woodsy brown dirt. An orange sun covers us all.

August fourth in the North Country.
Hallelujah and pass the bug-spray.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I too awoke early--before sunrise, but no such walk was in my destiny. Rather I joined the careening commuters into the concrete forest to clean the bugs off their glass.

August fourth in the suburbs.
Hallelujah and pass the squeegee.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home