Wednesday, July 26, 2006

London dreams

Being the personality-type that stays fairly enthused with my surroundings, the shiver of jealousy caught me by surprise. That shiver, swiftly followed by a pang of longing, sent me careening down the halls of memory.

1998: in London for a whole sweet month. My official business was directing a musical at the Unicorn Theatre in the West End. (I see now they have moved to a larger venue!) My unofficial business was to spend my daily stipend on the opera, symphony, chamber-music concerts, and plays. The free museums, cathedral vespers, and London scenery were the gravy liberally ladled on my soul between dress rehearsals and morning matinees. My dear family came to bunk with me for a week in the middle of the month, but otherwise I was free as a sparrow to flit about the city alone, eat fish & chips, and indulge myself.

Every now and then, I find myself exploring the narrow streets of London in my dreams. They come to me unbidden; I can't call them up and what triggers them is a mystery. Afterwards, I rub the sleep from my eyes and rouse myself to the regular chores of life. Don't misunderstand: I thrive on the chores of life. Obviously though, there is a chamber in my memory that revels in my adventures over the waters.

Today, my dear Friend #01 will attend his official business in London, and then set off on his own adventure. This morning's charming and humorous email from him set my heart to spinning over where he should venture first. I long to join him, as I know we are kindred in interesting ways. But he will chart his own course, map in hand, through the galleries and amongst the manuscripts (where I know he will linger) just fine without me.

Anyway, in the years ahead, I wouldn't want to intrude on his dreams of London.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I savored our yummy summer squash, garlic, and basil sauteed and served over pasta, alongside a fresh (and very organic!) salad, I was thankful for you.

And not just for your generosity in sharing your garden delights, but also for your willingness to host people so quickly and wonderfully. You filled in the gap I left while spending quality time with my husband and car, and I am very appreciative!

Many, many thanks!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home