Thursday, July 20, 2006

a ton of blue

Yesterday morning found me tromping through dewy bushes, quite a few miles from home. A rope held a white plastic bucket around my middle and a striped hat shielded my eyes from the expected 85 degree sun. The glimpse of dusty blue through the scattered branches made my heart sing.

Blueberry-picking. Three hours later, 37 pounds of 'em were hoisted into a large cooler. My parents had gathered even more: 56 pounds! Call it greed, call it excess....but come January, we'll be dining on blueberry pie.

For those who need to know:

$1.25/lb pick your own
Godfrey's Last Stand
outside Central Square, NY

And speaking of gathering a harvest, here is this morning's Garden Report:

-bell peppers and jalapenos looking good, will pick this week.
-lettuces overflowing. Spinache daily, buttercrunch finally heading.
-beans past flower, twining all over.
-Parsley & cilantro abundant. basil gone wild. Who loves pesto? Contact me.
-cukes emerging, will be ready to pick this week.
-sunflowers cresting 5 feet. Their purpose? Nostalgic.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

don't get rid of all the basil. i promised the boys we would freeze some and bring it home with us!

in my time off after we get back from potsdam here is what is on my list of things to do:

make fridge pickles.
freeze corn.
freeze beans.
go berry picking and freeze berries.
find a place down here to buy cucs, corn on the cob, and beans for el cheapo.

I'm SO excited about have two weeks off. I can't even tell you! But I'm even more excited about coming home. Ten days and counting.

8:26 AM  
Blogger thisrequiresthought said...

awfully domestic, aren't you?

I was on the phone with Kenosha when you called yesterday. what to do???

8:34 AM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Thanks for the sample bag from your picking. They tasted great with my yogurt & cheerios last night.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

so how IS Kenosha doin these days. . . it's been such a long time since I've had a good chat with good ole Kenosha. . . =)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

ooooo, I didn't know the sun was 85 degrees. But Whatevah. i like the way you write though. Very descriptive.

Love you mrs. Hull.

-Pete

5:31 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Oh, oh, oh. I LOVE pesto--your pesto. Make some up and freeze it for your trip west. ;-)

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

3:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home