Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Observed in the L.O.C.

At times, I think that I show way too much enthusiasm. Heart on sleeve stuff, you know. Keeping a running commentary of "this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE
a. piece of art
b. garden
c. exhibit
d. resturant
e.view

(and so on) is a sure-fire way to tire my family out.

But.
Yesterday, in the hallowed Great Hall of the Library of Congress, I soberly observed a lady and her husband for a few minutes. He stood back placidly, mildly allowing her to take in the stunning views. She stood gazing upward, her cane dangling awkwardly at her side.
"Oh...it's so beautiful. So beautiful..."
That is all she kept saying, softly over and over to herself. Her voice quavered with emotion and tears spilled down her cheeks. She was trembling. A bystander with less tolerance for such a display would suggest she pull it together, but not I. I loved her for her show of appreciation for (yes) my favorite building IN THE WORLD.
I noticed Friend #12 observing this over-the-top display.
"See that lady?" I inquired. She nodded wordlessly.
"I know how she feels."
Yeah. I know how she feels.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lore Ferguson said...

I wish I knew how she felt.

But suffice to say that I'll delight in other things like breakfast at Panera's, pink gerber daisies, cheezits and prayer with my roommates, and the first day of classes.

But nothing is quite the same as being with you.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

It's about time you posted! I've been starved for poetic prose.

7:01 PM  
Blogger sam said...

Wow...

9:54 AM  
Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Perhaps I'll have to visit the Library Congress the next time that I'm in DC. I've heard you talk so much about it.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home