Thursday, April 05, 2007

maundy, maundy

"My soul is often a chariot without wheels,
clogged and hindered in sin's miry clay;
Mount it on eagle's wings
and cause it to soar upward to thyself."

-excerpt from "Penitence"
"The Valley of Vision"

Today is Maundy Thursday, a day traditionally set aside for reflection of three events: The Last Supper, Jesus' agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, and the betrayal of Judas Iscariot. My lazy and undisciplined heart feels wholly incapable of encompassing the sorrows of Holy Week, which made this excerpt from a Puritan's prayer particularly timely.
I can recall a poignant Holy Thursday service of my childhood. There was a table set for thirteen at the altar, and while the pipe organ intoned "Were You There?" and "O Sacred Head Now Wounded", we were led in groups to be seated for Holy Communion. We partook silently, passing the plate and the tray of tiny cups with shaky hands while reflecting on the many ways each of us have failed Him.
Penitence is not a popular word in our society. It is not a popular word in the depths of my own sin-sick soul, either. It takes work to be sorry and to grieve. I guess I'll just have to hoist these ole' chariot wheels out of the muck and get this here chassis cleaned up for a ride to heaven. Or at least a ride to church in my Easter-best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home