Monday, April 02, 2007

the New York Times and other times

There is a set of couches in the Potsdam library that I like to settle into. Within arm's reach is usually a copy of the latest New York Times. A few pounds into this fabulous paper is the Arts & Leisure section, and this afternoon I cracked it open with a luxurious 30 minutes to squander.
Exuding a very cosmopolitan yet unassuming air, I checked the roster of upcoming concerts and exhibits. Ah yes, Pirates of Penzance is still playing at Lincoln Center. Good show, that. And here is a splashy photo of an acquaintance of mine onstage, accompanying the MET Young Artist Auditions. A few articles later, I see an announcement of a Carnegie recital given by a well-known opera-star. She belted notes of a new opera while in my living room last fall. Really.
At times like these, the career-bent strings of my heart get to zinging. My imagination starts cranking like this: "If I had gone to grad school....If I had attended conservatory....If I had postponed marriage & family for a few years...." -and so on. Don't get me wrong, these waves of false regret last only a few moments, and even while they travel through my brain waves, their appeal diminishes.
The calling of a wife, mother, homemaker has proven to be the thrill of my life. Lucky for me, God has generously allowed me to taste a few other dishes over the years, and I've mostly enjoyed what I've tasted. But the best stuff?
You won't read about it in the New York Times, folks. But you are welcome to come on over to my house and share the joy anytime.
Note to Friend #32: you will be forewarned of any opera-singing.....

1 Comments:

Blogger TrashTidBits said...

Yes, I'll pass on the opera-singing, but I'll come over anytime for food, piano-playing, and the company of great friends.

Maybe I can visit an opera house on my upcoming trip out west. After all, don't the westerners sing opera with a country twang?

Lets plan a kayaking outing when I return. :)

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home