Monday, March 12, 2007

Pollyanna speaks

We lounged on the two couches in the front room last evening while a tray of candles flickered on the low table before us. Waves of warmth exuded from me, the result of my coup de etat in our latest game of Upwords. We are well-matched, Friend #12 and I, which makes for sharp competition that puzzles the rest of the family. That being said, I will admit that she has beaten me without fail for the last dozen games.
"I won!" I shouted towards the back of the house and furthermore, up the stairs. "Hey, I won this time!" No response.
"Hey guys. I won in Upwords."
I heard the shrug in #1 Son's voice from the family room. "Yeah. Great, Mom."
"Congratulations." intoned #1 Daughter dully from the top of the stairs. Subtext: humor mom and she will stop yelling.
To channel attention from my accomplishment and yet continue to call the shots as the victor, I challenged Friend #12 to a new sport: Playing Pollyanna.
"Name three things that happened today that made you really happy."
While she was changing gears and pondering my random request, I dove in. Here is what I came up with:

Number One: I got to play German Lieder for three hours this afternoon. One of my regular gigs at Crane is to accompany the Vocal Diction classes in which the students learn proper pronunciation of German, Italian, French, and even English. German Diction is probably my favorite. Bring me Brahms, Schubert, Schumann, Wolf, and Strauss. Don't forget J.S. Bach, please.

Number Two: I had the privilege of blessing the upcoming travels of three dear friends. Two of them depart today for Germany (where, if I had accompanied them, I would encourage perfect German diction). The latter part of these travels is a business trip. Father's business, that is. And considering the foundational preparations that have been set into place by the Master Builder, my imagination is challenged to encompass what they will accomplish while abroad.

Number Three: I was unexpectantly humbled by a phone conversation. It was a good kind of humbling, though, as the person on the other end was requesting my help. And not just any kind of help, but the kind that takes time and sacrifice. The kind that means investment. The kind that means I may have something of value to give. It always takes my breath away to realize that.

I actually had another Pollyanna point, which entailed a spontaneous song that someone shared in church today. It struck me to the core. It wasn't the singing, although the diction was pretty good. It was the message, straight from the heart of God:
"Calling all beggars, paupers, and sinners! Come here and sit beside Me! I'll give you beauty for ashes."

Move over, Pollyanna. That seat is reserved for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home