Saturday, March 31, 2007

the family thing

Yes, I can multi-task. I can watch You've Got Mail while composing an insightful and witty entry.
Well, I can attempt it, anyway.

While efficiently tucking away my lunch at Friday school, I was visited my #1 Son's buddy Jon. He had his requisite lap-top with him and was clicking away at his photo-file.
"Hey, look at this one," he enthused. "This is a shot of what we did last night."
Flickering on his screen-saver was a human pyramid comprised of at least 10 family members. Otis the bulldog was lying under the bottom rung, grinning his sloppy canine grin while supremely unaware of the impending danger of collapse.
"We had to do many, many takes to get this shot," he assured me. "That was before we tried dragging the couch over to get Babe on top."
Whilst the parents of this aforesaid family are far far away on a tropical island, the left-behind tribe collectively decided to have a Family Night. This information tweaked my interest.
"Isn't every night Family Night at your house?" I queried.
"Nah. Everybody's busy. One sibling works late, these two live down the road, this one's got a meeting, and so on. So we decided to all have dinner, play games outside, and just be together. Just family. You know."

There is something to be said about this whole scenario. It warmed my heart in more ways than one, and led me to be really, really thankful for an example of a family that demonstrates devotion. Devotion for devotion's sake: let's just be together, play some tag, cook a meal, be silly, carve out a chunk of life and hang together.
You know what I'm thinkin'? That there's a couple enjoying a long-awaited Hawaiian vacation, but in the meantime, the family-thing is happenin' at home.
Neat, huh?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very neat. What a memory they made, too! One day, they will get together for another family day and reminisce ... "Say, remember when Mom and Dad went to the tropics and we did the pyramid?"

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home